Monday, September 29, 2008

Integrating Physical Activity into the Complete School Day

Did anyone read Naspe's posted information on integrating physical activity into the complete school day?  It offers resources for classroom activities during the day, before and after school activities, staff wellness days, and walk to school programs. 

Does anyone feel they would get the support from teachers to incorporate physical activities into their lessons? or just think we are crazy? Dr. Nichols had talked to me about this idea during the spring semester for our "make a change project".  I was just wondering if anyone has tried this approach. If so, how is it going?  

2 comments:

SlowAnn said...

I haven't tried this same approach, but I have tried to get the teacher's involved and have incentive programs for those students who get a certain amount of good work awards. Recently I have started to think of some ideas to help raise money for a fitness center, and one idea was to have the teacher's participate in basketball, volleyball, relays, and so on against the seniors or 6th graders. Right now I have no volunteers, but I hope that maybe they change their minds. Same thing with after school programs. I tried to get things going with yoga, step aerobics, and a walking program and their is no interest. The interest is diffently not amoung the teachers at my school, but I think that the children would love a chance to be involved in p.e. throughout the day.

Kristen said...

I think that I would get the support of the staff, but I'm not sure if administration would go for it. They seem to panic if they students are missing instructional time. I think that it would be a great outlet for the students and I'm sure that they would perform better during the school day if they had more physical activity.