Thursday, September 18, 2008
Pedometer Thoughts...
I was wondering who incorporates pedometers into their lessons? or a unit? Has anyone done the walk across a map situation? What are some different ways you can motivate students using pedometers to increase their steps taken during a class period for a unit over time. I personally like using a pedometer, but I already have the motivation!! I am using them with 7th and 8th grade students, which takes some time getting started. I don't have outside facilities available for walking so I have to plan utilizing only the gymnasium??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lisa,
I feature a stepping assignent as part of my exercise unit. I ask students to count their steps for a total of 3 days. I encourage students to use a pedometer, if possible. Students then submit 3 tables worth of steps for my review, complete with details and totals for each day. I also provide student an article and have them answer a few questions based on what they read. When assessing their submissions, I look to see what their habits were for those 3 days. When students tell me that they accumulate thousands of steps while working, I send them a comment asking them if they do the same on days when they do not work? Typically that generates a thought provoking response. It also sends a signal to them that maybe we cannot rely on our workplace to always help us generate as many steps as we need to take each day. Good luck with your project. I would be interested to hear how it goes for you.
Hey Lisa,
Last year I did the "Walk Across America" with my entire school. Every day the student's used a pedometer and at the end of class they recorded the number of steps they took on a card. I had parent's volunteer to record the steps into an Excel spreadsheet that converted the steps into miles. I also had a parent make a huge map of the United States, and we tracked every class as they accumulated miles, we would move their class across the map. This is also a good way to introduce states, capitals and other things as well. The kids really liked it because they could see their class' progress, which was a motivation in itself. It's a lot of extra work, but if you get the right parent volunteers it can really help.
Post a Comment